Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Exclamation Baseball Legend Willie Mays dead at 93

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ml...co-Giants.html

San Francisco Giants have announced the death of Willie Mays at age 93.

In a statement on X on Tuesday, the Giants said: 'It is with great sadness that we announce that San Francisco Giants Legend and Hall of Famer Willie Mays passed away peacefully this afternoon at the age of 93. There will never be another Willie Mays.'

A cause of death was not given. One of the greatest to ever play the game, Mays hit 660 home runs, scored 2,068 runs and notched 3,293 hits while winning one World Series with the Giants (1954). He was a 24-time All-Star and earned National League MVP titles in 1954 and 1965.

The center fielder was baseball's oldest living Hall of Famer. His signature basket catch and his dashes around the bases with his cap flying off personified the joy of the game. His over-the shoulder catch of a long drive in the 1954 World Series is baseball´s most celebrated defensive feat.

Mays had said in a statement just on Monday that he was not going to attend Thursday's game between the Giants and St. Louis Cardinals that will honor him and the Negro Leagues at Rickwood Field, Alabama.

*New* Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See ronfir's Items on eBay

Mays was beyond special! Sey Hey!!!!

I have other Mays cards not scanned but I am grateful that I am old enough to have seen him play and to have these cards:

Recent:

Pretty special:

I started buying card in 1959 and this was one that I pulled back then

And other pulls over the years

and my favorite cards

Last edited by ronfir; 06-21-2024 at 11:01 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Very nice cards ronfir. Love the Heritage auto.
    Always looking for Reggie Miller cards I need.

Top 5 Most Wanted:
    2003-04 Ultimate Collection Signatures Logos #RM Reggie Miller 1/1
    1999 Stadium Club Co-Signers Randy Moss/Jerry Rice
    Babe Ruth game used jersey card
    Michael Jordan Bulls Autograph
    Tom Brady Patriots Autograph

SCF Rewards
    Country

RIP Willie. It's certainly a tragedy and a loss but he lived a nice full life, so I'm not as "sad" or shocked as I usually am when a younger player passes..

I was born in 1980, so Willie played before my time. But thankfully to youtube and the thousands of vintage baseball games they host I've had the opportunity to see him play and he was terrific, both on and off the field... I'm not sure if anyone remembers "Home Run Derby" from the late 50's and early 60's that ESPN would air on afternoons back in the 1990's, but that was really my first opportunity to see him swing a bat and see the type of person he was, and I was impressed.

And I just recently picked up a bunch of Willie Mays over the last couple of weeks as well.. I got a terrific deal on a 6-card lot of 1972 Topps Willie Mays, and I also purchased a fairly large really cool lot of ultra-modern Willie Mays as well... Now that I think about it - I have a pretty large Mays collection, I mean I wouldn't say that I PC Willie Mays, but as a vintage collector/investor/dealer he's certainly a player I would never turn down if an opportunity presents itself to pick them up..

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    TR (44)
    Country
    West Virginia Mountaineers

Mays was beyond special! Sey Hey!!!!

I have other Mays cards not scanned but I am grateful that I am old enough to have seen him play and to have these cards:

Awesome collection.

RIP to a Legend
    I collect all WVU Alumni: Amos Zereoue, Steve Slaton, Pat White, Robert Sands, Rasul Douglas, Avon Cobourne, Quincy Wilson, Owen Schmitt, Will Grier, Gary Jennings, David Sills, Trevon Wesco, Pat McAfee, Darius Stills, Tavon Austin, Geno Smith, Charles Sims, Sam Huff, Chuck Howley, Jerry West (NBA), Jevon Carter (NBA), Jedd Gyorko (MLB), etc.
    and
    Dolphins, Avalanche, St.L Cardinals, & SF Giants